Alabama, Georgia, Home Away From Home

R Ranch in the Mountains in Dahlonega, Ga

Another learning experience today! We woke up about 6:00 only to discover that we had no water. We didn’t know if the heated hose was not working or if the water had frozen at the spigot (apparently it was the spigot). We had our coffee and sausage balls and then donned yesterday’s clothes, pulled in the slides, pulled up the jacks and headed out. The temperature was in the 20’s.

Deerlick Creek Park is such a nice park and one I’d like to visit when the weather is nicer but I don’t see that happening as there are so many other places we want to go. Perhaps if we ever choose Alabama as our state we’ll get back.

As we were leaving Jerry stopped by the gate and told the ranger that he had been unable to turn the spigot off because it was frozen. He thanked him and told him how much we enjoyed our brief stay. On to the winding and hilly road out. One of the reviews I had read said that it was winding and hilly but manageable and they were spot on. Once we got back to civilization – about 3 miles – we stopped at a Marathon to fill up. I grabbed my toothbrush and went in, got my teeth brushed and my hands washed and that made things a bit better.

We hit the road and headed toward Dahlonega, Ga. Traffic was not too bad and the only stop we made was along the side of the road for Jerry to go to the bathroom. We drove on into Dahlonega and got there around 2:40 EST. Normally I don’t think it’s a good idea to drive with no breaks but things were going good, there were no rest stops and then we hit Atlanta (bypassing) and there was no stopping then. We also changed time zones so we were losing an hour. We wanted to get settled as quickly as possible as we had plans for the evening so on we went.

R Ranch in the Mountains is very appropriately named. Who knew there were mountains in that part of Georgia? Not me but I quickly found out. The campground website showed an alternate way to get in but apparently we misunderstood and we took the harrowing descending U-turn in. It was a bit scary but Jerry did a terrific job. When we got there he just raised his hands in prayer and said “Thank you Lord”.

R Ranch is bordered on three sides by the Chattahoochee National Forest and believe me there is a beautiful view wherever you look. The campground is gated and has full time security. It also has an equestrian center but the horses were under quarantine while we were there. Apparently many of the sites are privately owned as there were many rigs there but few people. In fact, we never saw anyone! I’m sure during the other seasons of the year it’s a busy place but in February it is quiet and peaceful and a Passport Park on top of that. Unfortunately because of time constraints we didn’t get to see all of the facilities but it surely looks like an interesting place to return to – but we will take the other entrance!

I went in to register and got a surprise. We made reservations to stay there in February of last year but had to cancel because of snow so I had a $5 credit meaning our campsite costs us $7.50 for the night. Pretty good! There is no cable but the Dish worked fine however there is no Internet. In fact, we haven’t had Internet for the last two nights but it has cost us less than $20 for two nights on the road. Wish I could say that about the site we’re going to be in in Pinnacle!

When Jerry plugged the power in I immediately turned on the hot water heater so we’d have hot water for our showers. Then I turned on the heat pump and nothing happened – another learning experience. We finally resorted to the furnace which I don’t like to use because it uses propane and that kind of frightens me and add in the fact that it’s also it’s noisy. You can’t debate its proficiency though – it is warm. It finally dawned on us that the heat pump won’t work if the temperature gets below freezing and believe me, it was below – about 25 degrees.

As soon as we got in and got settled Jerry grabbed a quick lunch and I had a bar and an orange. We both got showers and headed out to spend the evening with Debbie, Jerry’s sister and her husband Terry. We had a delightful visit and a wonderful meal. A home cooked meal hit the spot.

When we got in the car we quickly realized that we didn’t know the address of the campground. No problem, look it up on the Internet except because of the heavily wooded area we were in neither my cell phone nor my iPad could get online. Fortunately Jerry took the correct turns and we were soon back into an area where we could figure out the way home. Lesson learned – do not leave a strange campground without having the address written down!

Headed on back to the coach and turned in although I couldn’t get to sleep easily. I think I was a little worried about the heat but I had no reason to be. We slept warm and toasty all night.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s