We have been planning to take the coach to NIRV in Lawrenceville, Ga (Atlanta) for some minor repairs and general maintenance since we got home from our Colorado trip. Life happened, Thanksgiving and Christmas came and went plus Covid cases seemed to increase and hit home when people we knew had it. When one of our acquaintances died it emphasized the need to stay close to home. We finally worked it out with NIRV and planned to leave Thursday, February 4, and arrive early on Friday, February 5 knowing that they wouldn’t be able to begin work on the coach until the following Monday. Frankly, I think Jerry wanted to be in place to watch the Super Bowl but he denies that was in his thinking. Oh well.
On Monday of that week, we got a call from Jerry’s sister who lives in the area telling us to watch the weather because they were predicting a big snowstorm. Oops – what to do now? We quickly decided that it would be best if we got ahead of the storm so after contacting NIRV to make sure we could get in we headed to Kinston on Tuesday to pick up the RV. We took it to Goose Creek State Park which is near our home. Since we could overnight there for $27 and given the predicted below freezing temps forecasted we thought that was a better choice than taking it to our home where we had no electrical hookup. We quickly got it set up and transferred the items we had previously packed in the car. We left the fridge cooling (not sure it even needed that!) and the heat warming the inside and headed home to get the other things we would need. We got all of the fridge/freezer contents and returned to the campground. After getting everything in we buttoned up the coach and then returned home where we knew we’d get a good night’s sleep (and a good shower) before a couple of travel days.
We prepared some dishes to take, spaghetti sauce, chicken salad, broccoli salad, cheese straws, and then prepared enough dinner to have leftovers for the next night. While we were cooking Jerry’s sister called to say that oops, the forecast had changed and now there was no snow predicted. Oh well, we were too far into planning to back up now. The forecast still called for heavy rains and then temps in the 20’s for Friday night so I still thought it was wisdom for us to arrive early. Since our accident in the rain, I’ve gotten antsy about traveling in bad weather especially if temps are going too low.
Wednesday morning dawned with sunshine (a rarity recently) and cold temps. We headed to the campground where all was well. The road from the campground to the major highway is very narrow and very curvy so Jerry decided not to hook up the car until we reached Washington. That was accomplished easily in the parking lot of a former grocery store. We were on the road headed to Spartanburg, SC for the night by 9:10.
We thankfully had an uneventful travel day stopping only twice, once for gas and once for a quick lunch. We arrived at Gaffney/Spartanburg KOA a little before 3:30 and quickly set up. The campground is very nice and looks like it would be a nice place for an FMCA chapter rally. We took a brief walk around and saw where they were adding some new paved sites complete with fire pits and picnic tables.
We knew the temperature was supposed to get down to 25 tonight so we were concerned about the heat going off during the night. It did! We woke up to a mighty cold RV and it was hard to get out of bed. We finally pulled out a space heater and put it in the bathroom so I could get dressed.
Since we only had 175 miles to go we didn’t rush out and left just before 9:30. Because the temperature was still below 41 we didn’t even try to turn on the generator and the heat pump and rode along with blankets (I had on my coat) and the dashboard heat. It wasn’t too bad though.
A nice uneventful ride got us at NIRV before lunch. Since we were only going to have an electrical hookup we went around back, emptied the tanks, and filled the freshwater tank. Then we were set up for several days. We actually are dealing with two departments, service and body shop so we ended up talking with both of them to verify the necessary repairs. Of course, the top of my list was the furnace repair!
After a frosty morning wake-up – yep, no heat, and a tin box is cold when there is no heat! We decided to run a few errands. US Cellular had been our cell phone carrier since Jerry got his first cell phone years ago. I switched to Verizon a couple of years ago when we realized that US Cellular did not work for us when we were traveling. Jerry’s iPad was slowly dying so he finally decided it might be a good time to switch to Verizon – if it saved us money! Off we went to a local Verizon store. The young man that waited on us was very informative and gave us a lot to think about however we decided to wait on changes until we returned to North Carolina. A quick trip to a grocery store and Sam’s and we were done for the day.
Saturday afternoon we took off to visit Jerry’s sister, Debbie and her husband Terry for dinner. It was so good to see them plus we got a meal that we didn’t have to cook! I had told Terry how much I loved the snow but that no matter the forecast if I was around the snow would go in another direction. Imagine my surprise when he ran in to tell me it was snowing! Yea!!! By the time we left it was coming down pretty good and the ground was beginning to cover. Little did we know that our drive back to NIRV would be so treacherous. At one point I suggested we return to Debbie’s since the roads were very quickly deteriorating. Of course, there was nowhere to turn around on the two-lane highway so we kept on going. As we neared Lawrenceville it turned to sleet and then rain. Dang!
Sunday dawned clear and sunny with only a very few patches of snow – naturally, the first thing I did when I awakened was look out of the window for snow but was greeted by brown grass! We “attended” our virtual church service Sunday morning/ We are so blessed to belong to a church where the Word is being taught and we can view it online as we travel. We spent the rest of the day taking it easy AGAIN. The weather was nice enough though for us to take a nice walk around the grounds.
Finally, Monday morning arrived and they picked up the coach around 9:30. We went over to talk with them to see how long the repairs would take. In the meantime, we had discussed the crack in the windshield. Do we repair it or do we replace it? I had talked with our insurance company and they suggested replacing it. After we found out that it would take about 5 days for a new windshield to come in and then a couple of days for installation we decided to leave the coach and head to North Carolina. At 10:30 Monday morning, we headed out and by 8:00 p.m. we were home and had the car unloaded. We have both elected to take the Covid vaccines and actually have had one. Our return to NIRV to pick up the RV will have to scheduled around the dates for our second shots so we’re unsure of exactly when that will be. Right now it feels good to know the RV is stored inside in Atlanta and I don’t have to worry about freezing temperatures or flooding.